- University of Pennsylvania, J.D. ’02
- Wharton School of Business, Cert. Business Management and Public Policy ’02
- Cornell University, College of Industrial & Labor Relations, B.S. ’99
Steven Harte is a senior associate at Block & Leviton LLP, focusing on securities, corporate governance, and merger-and-acquisition litigation. He has spent nearly fifteen years as a securities litigator and has practiced exclusively on behalf of shareholders for more than five years. His expertise has been sought out by hedge funds, newspapers, periodicals and industry publications both across the country and internationally, including The Wall Street Journal. Mr. Harte’s investigations into investor fraud have similarly received a broad spectrum of media coverage, including by the New York Times.
Prior to joining Block & Leviton, Mr. Harte was an associate at one of the largest law firms in the world. While at the University of Pennsylvania Law School, he also attended the Wharton School of Business.
Notable Successes »
- In re Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Securities Litigation, (Cal. Sup. Ct.)
- Co-Lead Counsel representing a pension fund in multi-year litigation over alleged breaches of fiduciary duty. $30 million settlement pending which if approved will represent the largest post-close M&A settlement in California state court history.
- In re BP Securities Litigation, (S.D. Tex.)
- Alleged violations of the federal securities laws; defeated, in substantial part, defendants’ motions to dismiss and successfully certified the class. Motions for Summary Judgement are currently pending.
- In re Plains Exploration & Production Co. Stockholder Litigation, (Del. Ch.)
- Alleged breaches of fiduciary duty; litigation led to an increase of $400 million to the original merger amount.
- In re KIT Digital, Inc. Securities Litigation, (S.D.N.Y.)
- Alleged violations of the federal securities laws; settled for more than $6 million following the company’s petition for bankruptcy. In approving the settlement, the Hon. John Sprizzo stated that: “plaintiffs’ counsel have conducted the litigation and achieved the settlement with skill, perseverance and diligent advocacy.”
- In re Cybex Int’l Shareholders Litigation, (N.Y. Sup. Ct)
- Alleged breaches of fiduciary duty; settlement involved substantial dividend payment to shareholders leading to a total premium of greater than 100%.
- In re: MIPS Techs., Inc., (N.Y. Sup. Ct)
- Litigation alleging breaches of fiduciary duty in a going-private transaction led to a 10% increase in consideration paid to shareholders.
Notable Non-Class Action Cases »
Mr. Harte currently represents a number of sophisticated institutional investors, individual investors and industry analysts. His clients include, among others:
- Louisiana Municipal Police Employees’ Retirement System
- Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
- The Office of the General Counsel of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on behalf of the Pennsylvania State Employees Retirement Board and the State Employees Retirement System
- The Employees’ Retirement System of Rhode Island
- The Office of the New Mexico Attorney General on behalf of the New Mexico State Investment Council, the Public Employees Retirement System of New Mexico and the New Mexico Educational Retirement Board
- The Philadelphia Board of Pensions and Retirement
- The City of Quincy Retirement Board
- The City of Providence Solicitor’s Office on behalf of the Employee Retirement System of the City of Providence
- The Warwick Retirement System
- City of Brockton Retirement Board
Professional Activities & Awards »
- Senior Editor, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law
- New York
- District courts for the Southern District of New York, and Eastern District of New York. Admission pending to the District of Massachusetts.